Pancakes and pikelets

My life is so obscenely busy I can only think in lists. This list inspired by the aroma of pancakes wafting down the stairs as I emerged from the bathroom this morning. Teenager in the kitchen can be a good thing.

A remembering of childhood:

· Watching television in the lounge room while consuming a plateful of steaming hot lemon and sugar pikelets Mum cooked for supper. Keeping a tally of how many we’d all consumed. Results staggering.

· Kevin Dennis New Faces. Judging panel – Mum, Dad, me.

· Midday Sunday. World Championship Wrestling. Killer Kowalski, Mario Milano, Brute Bernard. (Why did I watch this? Why can I remember a bunch of fat guys’ names when I can’t remember my grade six teacher?)

· Glued to the screen. Do not disturb. The Monkees. Peter Tork. (I went to their concert and screamed myself silly. Then endured off-the-scale embarrassment when Dad came to pick me up and I couldn’t talk. Before the show I gave a parcel to one of the tech crew. A week later I saw a photo taken at the venue they played after Melbourne. Peter Tork was wearing my love beads. I was non-functional for days.)

· Climbing a pine tree to the very top. Climbing any tree to the very top. (It had not occurred to me until I was an adult that spiders inhabited trees. Thank you God.)

· Lying in bed and hearing the clip clop of the milkman’s horses in the early hours of the morning – one of the loveliest sounds in my memory. (Except for the morning something spooked the horses and they tipped the cart over. There was a god-awful crash, a river of milk and a hell of a lot of broken glass.)

· Swinging the dog around on the end of the broom.

· Sewing my Darrel Baldock badge on to my favourite jumper by myself (GO SAINTS!!!).

· Tying the ‘put a tiger in your tank’ tail onto our car’s aerial.

· Catching my first fish – a flathead and then an EEL – EEK!

· Fish and chips at Sorrento.

· Visiting my aunty in Wonga Park when it was still out in the bush and eating an extremely juicy peach from a nearby orchard.

· Going on my first fast ride – the Mad Mouse at the show with Uncle Bill. Stumbling off GREEN.

· The smell of my new box of Derwent pencils.

· Blotting paper in the inkwells. Grrrrr. Clogged up my new fountain pen.

There. Now you all know how ancient I am. Baby Boomer me.

Comments

Minotaur said…
Hey Janet, like the blog dear. I had those fish an chips in Sorrento to. Very nice.

Calling to say I've got a new posting if you're interested. It's about The Magician's Nephew and there's a little bit about my series.

Hope all is well.

Popular posts from this blog

To the land of daffodils and roses

Black Saturday

A Good Start