Goodbye old Ted

I can’t get used to looking out at the rabbit’s hutch and seeing it empty. And as for peeling the carrots and topping and tailing the beans – I never thought such a mundane task could bring on such a wash of sadness.

Several days ago, Teddy, our rabbit, remained huddled up in his straw when I went out to feed him and give him a pat. This was unusual. Usually he'd hop into the outer section of his hutch eager for food.

I picked him up and put him on the grass, but he couldn’t support himself and kept falling over. (He keeps falling over in my mind. I see his skinny little legs kicking out to the side, flailing as he tries to right himself and hop away. It’s a harrowing image.) After a while, however, he seemed to recover, and I was relieved when he wolfed down his carrots and beans in true-to-form Teddy style.

But I had a feeling when I took him to the vet later that day he wouldn’t be coming home. The vet suggested there was neurological damage and that the loss of function was probably due to a prolapsed disk in his spine. For a rabbit, he was a very old man.

Poor Teddy.

We don’t know how old Teddy was – we think about ten, which is a pretty good innings for a rabbit. When we bought our house, Teddy, a handsome, long-haired exotic was thrown in for free. At the time, this small rabbity bonus had been a Godsend. The move had been under difficult circumstances.

Teddy facts:
· thought the grass was much greener on the other side of the fence and was a regular visitor to other gardens. He found some particularly sumptuous pickings to dine on during his visits which did provide cause for a period of neighbourhood tension
· enjoyed jumping up onto the couch and knocking off all the cushions
·ate a hole in my favourite jumper while I thought he was nestling affectionately into the crook of my arm
· bit the girl-child on the face while she was lounging around on the floor in her room – after which their relationship changed dramatically!
· provided great entertainment, one day, by chasing an over-inquisitive chook all around the backyard
· loved to relax upside-down in our arms or on our knees with his eyes closed
Goodbye Teddy.

Hope you’re hopping around in a gigantic heavenly vegetable plot lush with beans and silver beet and the juiciest carrots you’ve ever tasted.

( Milly and Fyodor will miss you.)

Comments

BookChook said…
That was a lovely tribute to Teddy! I hope the other animals and humans don't miss him too much.

I see you're reading Ishmael - I loved it and aspire to write as well as Bauer.

Good luck with your manuscript and say Hi to your chooks!
Carole Poustie said…
Thank you Book Chook! I'm with you - to write as well as Bauer is a great goal to aspire to!

Carole

Popular posts from this blog

To the land of daffodils and roses

Black Saturday

A Good Start