The Pianist

It was the last session of the day and I had twenty-five lively grade one children sitting attentively in front of me. This was unusual. Their quiet, expectant demeanour probably had something to do with the fact that I was about to play the piano, which – to the horror of any music education purist – is a rarity in my classroom. My fingers feel at home curled around the neck of anything with exposed strings; they quiver in the proximity of ivory. After sending three piano teachers batty, I’ve decided there’s a kind of reverse polarity that occurs when my fingers get within striking distance of a keyboard. If a concert pianist’s fingers are drawn to the keys like magnets, mine are repelled – at the moment of impact they hit the notes beside.

So to dare to play the piano for this group of cherubs had required a fair amount of audacity.

It was a simple Japanese folk song with two chords, which sounded much prettier on the piano than the guitar. At home, on my piano, it sounded sensational – and I even practised playing with my eyes closed, so I’d be able to turn and look at the children while I performed it.

The keys of the school piano, I discovered, had extremely powerful anti-magnets. I fluffed my way through, trying to sing loudly whenever my finger kept hitting the F sharp, even though the piece was in B flat. I hoped the teacher in the room next door was engaged in a noisy activity with her class.

I was about to capitulate and reach for my guitar, when something remarkable happened.

‘I could play that,’ piped up a voice from the back of the room. It came from a child who rarely uttered a word in my class.

Delighted she’d shown such boldness, I offered her the piano stool – but with guitar at the ready.

Her eyes scanned the music in front of her and she began, sight-reading the piece perfectly. It was a little too slow for the class to sing along to, but by the third pass, she had it under her fingers like a pro. We added drums and maracas, the rest of the children sang and I enjoyed the freedom of not having to control my recalcitrant fingers.

We applauded her warmly and I invited her to take her place with the others so I could finish the lesson with one more activity before the bell rang. There was a moment of hesitation. Her eyes glinted with a flash of mischief.

She remained on the stool.

Then she launched into the most incredible piece of piano playing I have ever heard from a child so young. I was spell-bound. As was every child in the room.

It was magic.

Such hidden treasure tucked away at the back of the room. I have never been so grateful for a dud note. Bless that F sharp – and for the ear that could not bear to hear it one more time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To the land of daffodils and roses

Black Saturday

Sleeping Beauty