The Book


What a journey you go on when you write a book! It’s an adventure with twists and turns, unexpected hazards, exhilarating moments, excruciating moments and some delightful surprises. And I’m not talking about the plot. I’m talking about the writing process. Oh, and there’s lots of walking for miles and miles towards the horizon – which plays tricks on you and recedes instead of getting closer.

When you start out, you don’t realize what you’ve taken on. Well, not in my case. You don’t realize how many hours you’ll sit in front of the computer screen, tapping away in faith – that you’ll get there. And that it will be good. (Where good equals outstanding and outstanding equals published.)

You don’t realize that the characters will become part of your family. That you will grow to love them as their lives untangle beneath your fingertips. That as you get to know their foibles, you’ll gain a much deeper understanding of your own. That your subconscious will work furiously in the background while you wash the dishes or walk the dog.

Several times along the journey you’ll think you’ve arrived. You’ll unpack your bags, only to find a prevailing restlessness drives you to keep going to a better place.

Someone will ask you what’s at the heart of your story when you think you’re nearly there – again. Dejected and ashamed, you discover there is no heart, so you reset your course and keep going.

You are driven. You can’t give up. The story is a giant snowball now, rolling down the hill at breakneck speed and you are part of it.

Where am I up to in THE BOOK you ask? Here’s an update:
Ø Realized there is not enough empathy for Lucky, the dog, written into the story (thanks Fiona and Catherine!) SO
– have made him Ish’s own dog
– am writing a short poem about an aspect of Lucky’s life as an epigraph for each chapter
– written more of Ish’s distress about losing his dog into the story

Ø Considering Lost Dog as the title (Michelle de Kretser nabbed The Lost Dog, but I think it has a certain feel to it without the ‘the’, which I like.) By the way, I enjoyed Michelle’s book – it was a good read – and lots of empathy for her lost dog!
(Leave a comment if you like the sound of Lost Dog – or not)

Ø Am changing the ending to add some more resolution to the story. There’s a final encounter with the ghost – a sort of rounding off. We find out who the mysterious truck driver is who steals Lucky, and there’s a hint of possible friendship between Ish and Brody. And a surprise.

Ø Too many Misters in the story, which some people have found confusing, SO Mr Jefferson has had a sex change. He’s now old Nelly Bagwash, who shouts, ‘You get off my property!’ at anyone who looks sideways at her.

As you can see, I’m still busy. But it’ll be better.

And I’m having fun writing the poems!

Comments

Cattyrox said…
Hey Carol,
Tried to send you an email today but it bounced back for whatever reason. For next Thursday, Advanced Novel, can you bring a section of your project (approx 1000 words) to read to the class. Earl and I will be convening that class. See you at 5.30!
Catherine
Minotaur said…
Greetings Janet, this is your old buddy with the horns.

Anyway, hoping all is well with the novel. I like the changes you want to make with it, and I believe the poetry bits is good.

It's like adding quotes, like in The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. His Dark Material is a good read, and I'd suggest it provided that you want to write a good fantasy.

I'm very eager to learn more about the ghost. Its been a while, but I don't think you revealed much about him in the workshops.

You could've and I've just forgotten. No matter. But because of the things you've written about it, I'm gonna have to demand a copy dear. You've hooked me, and you've only yourself to blame.

Hope to hear from you soon. My series has started up again, and I think I've tackled the POV issue of mine which Catherine is so fond of. Say hey for me when next you see her.

Cheers,
the Minotaur

PS. How's the job hunt going. It's hard, isn't it.
BookChook said…
I am new to your blog, so don't know much about your book yet. But I have noticed a trend with titles, to stick to one word. My suggestion is to halve your title and consider Lost, or... Dog!
Carole Poustie said…
Thanks for your suggestion. I did think of Lost but kept thinking of that awful TV show that my teenagers got sucked into! It put me off using it as a title. I'll rethink that one!

Popular posts from this blog

To the land of daffodils and roses

Black Saturday

Sleeping Beauty