The Novel

Haven’t posted for a few weeks – sorry! I’ve been flat out with my novel. The first draft is finished – hooray – and I’ve nearly finished revising and tightening it ready to send off for a formal assessment. Then there’ll be more revising and tightening and rewriting – not too much rewriting, I hope! – before pitching it to a publisher. That’s when I’ll ask you all to start crossing your fingers and toes and anything else you can think of!

In the meantime, here are a few snippets to give you a taste —

When Ish goes looking for a lost dog, he ends up searching for his father’s love, and finds more than he expected along the way. A story about a boy, a ghost, adventure and acceptance.

The sky looks like my sister’s doona cover – black, dotted with stars and a misty moon in the middle. The tops of the gum trees, bending in the breeze, are casting scary shadows on the tombstones around me. It’s as if I’m watching giant grey ghosts creeping out of their graves, one by one.
*
Two sets of footsteps came closer to the box. I was trapped. Any moment now I was going to get sprung and there was nothing I could do. I closed my eyes and held my breath. Then I sneezed.
*
I was in the middle of pulling faces at my reflection, when the principal suddenly turned around – which was really unfortunate timing because, at that moment, I had my tongue out, my eyes crossed and my two thumbs up my nose.
*
Sweat trickled down the back of my neck and my hands felt clammy and shaky. The whispering seemed to be getting louder, and echoed up and down the sides of the well, filling my head with a kind of white noise – like you hear when the radio’s not quite on the station. I wanted to put my hands over my ears to stop it. And I wanted to turn and look. It was the ghost. Just like in the cemetery. It had to be. Everything was the same – the whispering, the heat —
*
I gasped. The spider lurched forwards. I sprang back, and hit my head on a paint tin, dropping the torch. The light went out and I felt around frantically, hoping it hadn’t fallen down beside the mattress. I willed myself to stop thinking that in the dark, I might pick up the spider instead of the torch.
*
Dad’s voice rang in my ears. What are you doing here? It wasn’t so much the words he said, but how he said it. The tone in his voice. As if every word had an icicle hanging off it.

One problem. The title. There isn’t one. Well, there sort of is. One of the grade six children at my school suggested Who Nicked the Dog? I like it, but Hannah, my trusty nearly fourteen-year-old editor daughter is not sure. What do you think? Please vote on the NEW survey and tell me. Add a comment if you can think of an alternative.( The boy's name is Ish, the dog Lucky and the book's target audience is around 11- 14 year olds.)

I’m open to suggestions…

Comments

Minotaur said…
Janet... you're all right. Sorry I can't make it to the Emily Rhodda talk, but there's this chapter that I've been gunning to write since last year. It's the one where Alex get's got for killing Claire. I must write it.

And what is this **** about cleaning up tomato sauce. I smell fibbing. Also, I read your novel extract, and if you're looking for suggestions for a title, I feel it should have 'river' in it somewhere. Just saying.

So you're my biggest fan hey, I like that. Anyway, hope the novel is coming along well. I'm maybe a month away from finishing mine, and then I gotta give it a look over for those atrocious POV changes.

Hopiing all is well Janet my dear, and by the way, I don't see you as a Mavis. Sorry, I heard she's dead from Wanda on Futurama. Also, you're not a Mabel either, because Mabel is my imaginary enemy.

See you at the launch.
Carole Poustie said…
Dearest Minotaur,

I agree with your suggestion about having ‘river’ in the title. I have thought the same – but alas, have had no inspiration further than that. Hmmm… just thinking… one word titles are in vogue…River – sounds good. I like. Will ponder. Minotaur is insightful and has good ideas!

Is Claire dead yet? What about Alex – has he been got?

Ciao

Janet
Minotaur said…
What do you mean is Claire dead, she died in the first chapter, yet her rotting face is haunting Jordan to this day.

By the way, I've decided not to kill Alex. His punishment must be slow and painful (psychologically) I've decided.

Have a good one.
Carole Poustie said…
Woops - that's the down side of having aged friends - their brains become addled and they forget slightly important details and end up frustrating the hell out of you!
Minotaur said…
You're still all right. I'm gonna try and get the 1st draft finished by the end of the year. I'll send you a copy.

Also, I'm going to make Troy the scariest father in fiction. Wish me luck, and I read Catherine's blog and I'm all most sure that she said we all passed novel 2.

Unsure though...

Popular posts from this blog

To the land of daffodils and roses

Black Saturday

Sleeping Beauty